Country of residence:

Student Visa

Please give your vote for this product:

4.35 out of 5 based on
190 vote(s).

US Student Visa FAQs

If you've got any questions that aren't answered here, or you'd like to talk to someone now about your visa - please use our Live Chat service.

Once you contact us on the phone or on the web to request information for one of our services we will provide you with a free eligibility assessment which will determine the most appropriate visa for you. The assessment will include preliminary information on the visa conditions and how you meet the eligibility requirements. Once you agree to use our service we will process your visa application through to completion. Our service covers the checking of your documents and personal details for correctness before we lodge your application with the relevant Government/Embassy. In the event that we spot any missing information/documents from your application we will follow up by giving you a phone call or sending you an email to request the necessary details.

Thousands of customers choose Visa First to organise their working holiday visas every year because:

  • We make getting the visa you need fast and hassle-free.
  • We provide a free initial assessment on the process.
  • We developed the unique online visa status engine which allows you to check the status of your visa 24/7. Check your status now.
  • We're visa experts and have organised over 130,000 visas for people like you.
  • We have a price and service promise to you to ensure a low cost effective service.
  • We offer a step-by-step consultation as we do the visa.
  • We provide an end-to-end service from assessment, through gathering and processing the documents till visa grant.
  • We have local offices supporting the visa process.


A student wishing to attend a university or other academic institution in the United States, including primary and secondary schools, or a language training program requires an F-1 visa.

To Apply for the F-1/M-1 visa you must provide:
  • Your original, valid Passport;
  • One passport size photograph;
  • The proper application forms;
  • Form I-20 provided by the school or academic institution you are enrolled in;
  • Evidence of sufficient funds covering all expenses, including tuition;
  • Evidence of your academic qualifications;
  • Application Fees.

Nationals of all countries can apply for this visa.

Under certain limited circumstances it is possible to obtain permission to work in the US while on F-1 visa.

You may enter the United States up to 30 days before the designated registration date on the I-20. The students returning to resume studies, may enter the U.S. at any time. The holder of an F-1 visa may remain in the United States for up to 60 days following the completion of the course.

Spouses and/or children under the age of 21 who want to join you for the duration of your stay in US, need to apply for derivative F-2 visa.

One can apply 120 days before the date of enrolment mentioned in the I-20 form.

Once you are in the US, you are governed by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services rules. Accordingly, you cannot change your school before completing a year in it. It is advisable you make your choice carefully, and avoid problems later.

The reputation of the college establishes the motive. If you are going to a reputed college, your intention is clear. But if you are going to an institution no one has heard of, and which has not asked you to take any standard tests, it might make the US consul suspicious.

Yes, it establishes that you are a superstar. There is no direct relation, though it completes the picture for the consul and helps it evaluate the case better. Mention this during your interview.

A student visa is not guaranteed with the issuance of the I-20 alone. You have to convince the US authorities that you are not intending to migrate by showing proof of your permanent ties in your home country.

The US consul will have to be convinced about how you will repay the loan. If huge loans are shown, getting a visa can become difficult. It is preferable to have a smaller loan.

No, paying the tuition expenses in advance is a good way to show proof of funds, but it is not a requirement.

A student wishing to pursue a course of study which is not principally academic in nature at an established vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution such as a post secondary vocational or business school you require an M-1 visa.

Holders of M-1 visas may only engage in employment if it is a required part of their practical training and the employment has been approved in advance by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

As a holder of an M-1 visa you may remain in the United States for the period of time it will take to complete the course of study as indicated on the I-20M plus 30 days, or for one year, whichever is less.

At Visa First we do everything we can to make sure you receive the best possible service. If you feel that we have not achieved this goal we have set up a complaints handling process:

Complaints Process:
  1. Where an official complaint is received by Visa First, the company will record the nature of the complaint and issue an acknowledgement email to the client within 5 business days of receiving the complaint. The acknowledgement will provide the client with the contact name who is responsible for dealing with the complaint. The official complaint must be made by email (you may also write, although this will slow down the process), and confirm that the client wishes to enter this process. Please email your complaint to
  2. Visa First will investigate the complaint as swiftly as possible and where applicable, the complainant will receive a regular written update on the progress of the investigation at intervals of not more than 20 business days.
  3. Visa First will try to resolve the complaint within 40 business days of having received the complaint. If the complaint cannot be resolved within 40 business days, the Firm will write to the complainant notifying them of the anticipated timeframe for the conclusion of the investigation.
  4. Within 5 business days of the conclusion of the investigation of the complaint, Visa First will issue a resolution letter detailing the outcome of the investigation. This letter will include, if applicable, an explanation of the terms of any offer that the company is prepared to make in settlement of the complaint.

I accept