Canada Skilled Worker: Your Questions Answered!
Have you any questions? Listed below are answers to questions you have asked us.
If you have a question you need answering that is not listed below skip to the bottom of the page and submit the question and we'll answer it and add it to the site.
If you've got any questions that aren't answered here, or you'd like to talk to someone now about your visa - use our Live Chat service.

Once you contact us on the phone or on the web to request information for one of our services we will provide you with a free eligibility assessment which will determine the most appropriate visa for you. The assessment will include preliminary information on the visa conditions and how you meet the eligibility requirements. Once you agree to use our service we will process your visa application through to completion. Our service covers the checking of your documents and personal details for correctness before we lodge your application with the relevant Government/Embassy. In the event that we spot any missing information/documents from your application we will follow up by giving you a phone call or sending you an email to request the necessary details.

Thousands of customers choose Visa First to organise their working holiday visas every year because:

  • We make getting the visa you need fast and hassle-free.
  • We provide a free initial assessment on the process.
  • We developed the unique online visa status engine which allows you to check the status of your visa 24/7. Check your status now.
  • We're visa experts and have organised over 130,000 visas for people like you.
  • We have a price and service promise to you to ensure a low cost effective service.
  • We offer a step-by-step consultation as we do the visa.
  • We provide an end-to-end service from assessment, through gathering and processing the documents till visa grant.
  • We have local offices supporting the visa process.



If you meet the minimum eligibility requirement, your application will then be processed according to the six selection factors:
  • your education
  • your abilities in English and/or French, Canada’s two official languages
  • your work experience
  • your age
  • whether you have arranged employment in Canada, and
  • your adaptability.

Yes, you must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada.

No. The success of your application depends on whether you meet the minimum requirements and how many points you score in the points test.

No there are no age restrictions. However you gain points only if you are between 17 and 53 years of age.

You will need to provide documents in support of each requirement of your Canadian Skilled Worker Visa application. All the documents should be originals, relevant and directly appropriate to the particular criteria and if issued in another language should be translated by a certified translator:
  • Canada Visa application form completed and signed by you;
  • Visa application fee;
  • Documents showing your qualifications;
  • Documents showing relevant work experience;
  • Documents showing your English and/or French skills level;
  • Evidence of points claimed, if any, under the adaptability factor;
  • Documents proving that you have enough funds to maintain you and/or your dependents in Canada;
  • Police certificates and clearances.

The current pass mark is 67 points. Citizenship and Immigration Canada may raise or lower the pass mark without any advance notice. If you currently score 67 points (or more), it is a good idea to submit your Canadian Immigration Application at the earliest time possible in case the pass mark changes.

Under the Skilled Worker category, the following family members may be included in your application:
  • your spouse or common-law partner;
  • your dependent children and the dependent children of your spouse or common-law partner;
  • the dependent children of your dependent children and the dependent children of the dependent children of your spouse or common-law partner.

Work experience is a critical requirement for a Canada Skilled Worker Visa application. At a minimum, you must have one year of full-time (or the part-time equivalent) of continuous work experience in an occupation at a skill level recognised by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Part-time work experience is acceptable.

If you have experience in one of Citizenship and Immigration Canada's 38 qualifying occupations, it also must be one year of full-time (or the part-time equivalent) of continuous work. If you plan on working in the Province of Quebec you only need to demonstrate six months of relevant work experience.

To apply for this Canadian Work Visa you must have minimum one year of full-time or the part-time equivalent of continuous work experience in one of Citizenship and Immigration Canada's 38 qualifying occupations. This means that yes, part-time work experience is acceptable. It is assessed in proportion to a standard full-time working week of 37.5 hours. For example, a two-year part-time position requiring approximately 20 hours of work each week, will be counted as approximately one year of full-time experience.

You are not required to obtain an offer of employment to qualify under the Skilled Worker category. However, having arranged employment will score you additional points and at some Canadian Immigration Visa Offices, significantly speed-up the processing of your Canada Visa Application.

Yes. You will be awarded points under the “Adaptability Factor” if you or your accompanying spouse or common-law partner has a close relative who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and who is currently residing in Canada. To qualify as a close relative, the Canadian citizen or permanent resident must be a child, mother or father, brother or sister, aunt or uncle, niece or nephew, grandchild or grandparent.

Applicants for a Canada Immigration Visa under the skilled worker category may be required to attend a personal interview with a Canadian Immigration Visa Officer. Such interviews are held to ensure the information in the application is accurate and to clear-up any uncertainties.

Setting up a bank account before you leave home will mean you can start working and getting paid as soon as you arrive in Canada. Visa First is partnered with Traveltowork and they can set up your account so when you arrive in Canada all you need to do is collect your new bank card from any HSBC branch nationwide. Apply to open a Canada bank account today.

At Visa First we do everything we can to make sure you receive the best possible service. If you feel that we have not achieved this goal we have set up a complaints handling process:

Complaints Process:
  1. Where an official complaint is received by Visa First, the company will record the nature of the complaint and issue an acknowledgement email to the client within 5 business days of receiving the complaint. The acknowledgement will provide the client with the contact name who is responsible for dealing with the complaint. The official complaint must be made by email (you may also write, although this will slow down the process), and confirm that the client wishes to enter this process. Please email your complaint to
  2. Visa First will investigate the complaint as swiftly as possible and where applicable, the complainant will receive a regular written update on the progress of the investigation at intervals of not more than 20 business days.
  3. Visa First will try to resolve the complaint within 40 business days of having received the complaint. If the complaint cannot be resolved within 40 business days, the Firm will write to the complainant notifying them of the anticipated timeframe for the conclusion of the investigation.
  4. Within 5 business days of the conclusion of the investigation of the complaint, Visa First will issue a resolution letter detailing the outcome of the investigation. This letter will include, if applicable, an explanation of the terms of any offer that the company is prepared to make in settlement of the complaint.

OccupationAlbertaBritish ColumbiaSaskatchewan
Accountant $52,000 - 83,000 $43,600 - 67,800 $52,000 - 72,800 $43,600 - 59,900 $37,400 - 54,000 $45,700 - 72,800
Carpenter $55,100 - 62,400 $43,600 - 67,800 $37,400 - 58,200 $30,800 - 48,500 $43,700 - 60,300 $45,700 - 72,800
Chef de Partie $33,200 - 49,900 $26,600 - 42,000 $31,200 - 49,900 $24,600 - 42,000 $31,200 - 49,900 $45,700 - 72,800
Electrician $49,900 - 72,800 $42,000 - 59,900 $45,700 - 70,700 $38,700 - 58,200 $47,800 - 79,000 $40,400 - 64,700
Diesel Mechanic $58,200 - 83,000 $48,000 - 67,800 $47,800 - 74,900 $40,400 - 61,500 $45,700 - 72,800 $38,700 - 59,900

Alberta-$512; Saskatchewan-$352; British Columbia-$497; Ontario-$485; Manitoba-$387; Quebec-$610

I accept
USA:866 772 9245
(free phone)
Australia:1 800 829 230
(free phone)
Austria:01 928 0468
(local phone)
Belgium:01 150 0353
(local phone)
Canada:647 724 3535
(local phone)
Denmark:07014 2225
(local phone)
France:01 72 72 72 10
(local phone)
Germany:0800 000 7272
(free phone)
Holland:02 0890 8144
(local phone)
Ireland:1 878 3355
(local phone)
Italy:02 3600 0535
(local phone)
New Zealand:+64 9 984 1996
(free phone)
Spain:91 187 15 30
(local phone)
Sweden:011 496 6326
(local phone)
UK:0207 659 9186
(local phone)
Russia:0499 9183 181
(local phone)

Everything you need in CA